Saturday, July 16, 2011

It's the little things...

that make me most happy. Such a cliche thing to say...but it is so amazingly true. Like waking up next to a warm body...well two warm bodies and a heavy breather on the floor. All three of them make me feel blessed to have such love and joy in my life. My husband soundly sleeping while Wensday is working every angle to wake him so that she can get her nibble on. (she is ALWAYS begging Clint for food...not me. I refuse to let her bully me...but Clint is way softer! ha ha ha!) And knowing Maggie is on her big, comfy Costco bed sleeping soundly dreaming of running down the sandy beach and eating otter poo...it makes me feel really happy. :o)

And right now...even though it is July, what is considered a summer month...and it has been raining for about 3 days...I feel excited because my little cistern is being fed with fresh water from the heavens. I will celebrate by doing some laundry...maybe even have a bath to make my sore muscles feel better. The fresh scent outside is so amazing and rejuvenating. The West Wet Coast is green 12 months of the year...but in the summer with the extra foliage and blossoms, the rain causes magnificent fragrance in the air...far superior to any perfume. The rain also means that I do not have to water anything on my deck...yes!!! I mean, I do love to take the time in watering each pot filled with flowers, herbs, tomatoes and more...I like to whisper to each plant that I love them and appreciate the growth that they have made over just a few short months. I pump them up with confidence...and a little fertilizer helps too! No watering means no heavy water can lifting and no sore shoulder...that makes me really happy. ;o)

Living in a small community makes me feel ecstatic at times. (of course there are some times when I am like "Man...there ain't much privacy when everyone knows you. I just want to get my groceries and NOT talk to 20 people in the aisles." I say that once in a blue moon when I just need my quiet time.) It feels pretty awesome when you are walking around "downtown" and almost every person you pass knows your name and gives you a smile, or a wave, or my favourite...a HUG!! I love it! I like to talk, so I like running into various people on my outings...makes the day feel brighter. I love love...and I love people...everyone.  This is a place where people care about you...and they show it. It's a place where I can give back...even if it is just through my smiles and hugs and infectious silliness. (at least I hope those that know me like me as the silly gal that I can be!) I love my community...it makes me feel warm, safe and super happy. ;o)

There are so many things that bring a bigger than life smile to my face and an extra beat in my heart. A rose opening up and the fabulous sweet scent it gives off that first morning fully awake. Barbecuing on the deck with friends...especially if there is corn on the cob...peaches and cream! Yum! Laying on a rocky or sandy beach soaking up the heat of the sun, (it happens out here...more than you would believe) and jumping into the smooth rolling waves. Watching a pretty butterfly flitting through the air searching for some yummy goodness in the flowers that are so bountiful on our pretty island...and on my deck! ;o) Finding a big old snail quietly and slimely moving over the rocks and moss. Seeing a dog from a far hooking up with someone he knows and watching his/her tail wag uncontrollably with pure excitement. (I love dogs.) Viewing photos of all of my nieces and nephews on Facebook and seeing their smiling, cute faces enjoying the life that they have been blessed with. ( they all have the most fabulous parents...I love my sister and brother and their partners. They rock!!!) But...lately one of my most favourite things are the treasures that I have been finding on the beaches. My chitons, my huge cow tooth from the old homestead, pretty beach glass and rusty things. Yesterday I was further blessed by the beach treasure gods. Not only did I find the biggest piece of blue glass I have ever found...but it came complete with a host of barnacles attached to it. (sorry barnacles for now I have taken you from your home in the sea...and you will die. :o( But there are soooo many more of you...like an infestation under the deep blue waters. Thanks for your beautifying my special glass.) When I spotted the blue, my heart skipped a beat...seriously. Then I ran down the side of the rock and seaweed in my cowboy boots to retrieve what I was pretty sure was going be a most spectacular piece. And it was!! Yippeeee! Clint just laughed and said "You truly DO enjoy the little things in life!"

I do. It's the little things that make me most happy. ;o)



No comments:

Post a Comment