Sunday, August 14, 2011

The Top 11 Things Pami Says You Shouldn't Ask A One Armed Woman.

These are some of the comments made to me over the years from people who first meet me in any kind of circumstance. My suggestion is to think first before the words actually come spilling out and you can not take it back. Not that I am not mature enough to know how to handle such ignorant statements...it just makes it easier to not judge you for those words...as you judge me for being who I physically am...and what I can not ever change. Good thing I like myself now...but it took many moons to have those positive feelings towards myself. Hard to feel good when others seemingly don't feel good about you. In my old and wise years I do know that these comments are not made with malice, (for the most part) but it's just something to consider when words are forming in the brain.

Things NOT to say to a "One Armed Girl/Lady/Woman"...

"Oh my gosh...I am so sorry for you!"
"How do you dress yourself?"
"Your parents must have been so heartbroken when you were born."
or
"I feel so bad for your parents...what a hard thing for them."
"So...you can hold down a job? Wow!" (honestly...that is NOT a compliment...c'mon!)
"You are married?" (why...am I not good enough for someone to love?)
"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!" (WTF...am I a monster...I do not think so.)
"Mommy, why does that lady have one arm?" (That IS a very logical question posed by most children...and quite all right. They are children and need to learn.) Mommy's response..."DON'T stare at the lady...leave her alone. Come, let's go get ice cream!" (That is ignorant and actually quite abusive to your child. They want to learn...they are curious. I have no problem explaining to a sweet and innocent child why I look a little different than the average person.)
"It must be terrible to be you." (no...it must be terrible to be so unconscious!)
"How do you survive?"
"I would die if I only had one arm."  (actually...you would not die...you would be stronger than you could even imagine. And if you lost an arm or leg you would be even stronger than someone like me who was born this way. You adapt and find that you can conquer anything you put your mind too. Humans are amazing!)

These are just some of the comments that come to mind first. I could sit here for hours and hours thinking of more and even explaining the comical looks that people can get on their faces. But that would put more of a negative spin on this. I am trying to be a little funny here...I do see the humour in these statements. Even though the people were and are being 100% serious when they spew them. I have a way easier time shrugging them off. But not everyone has gotten there yet. So be kind in your words. Be kind to everyone you meet no matter what your "differences" may be. We are all here, living together on this big old planet Earth...maintain the peace...spread the love. Be accepting of others because they also are accepting you...remember that!

Peace out!




P.S. like my one armed Hawaiian Bobble Head? I think she is perfect! Thank you Veronica! xox

3 comments:

  1. Ok so here's another one for the list Pam...

    My mother calls today and starts talking, then I start laughing as I look at Kate. She asks, "Who that is and I say it is my friend Kate." She then asks, "Of is that your friend with one arm?" and I reply, "No, Kate's got two arms...she in my uninteresting friend." At which point Kate and I crack up.

    Just thought you would like to know that.

    Love you my fine limbed friend,
    Mariko

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote that totally wrong!!
    Pam's Unarmed blog had a list of things not to say to a one armed gal...this is what transpired over the phone that I posted to the blog.

    Here's how I was supposed to type it...aghhhh

    Ok so here's another one for the list Pam...

    My mother calls today and starts talking, then I start laughing as I look at Kate. She asks, "Who is that?" and I say it is my friend Kate. She then asks, "Is that your friend with one arm?" and I reply, "No, Kate's got two arms...she in my uninteresting friend." At which point Kate and I crack up.

    Love you,

    Mariko"

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha ha ha...Mariko. I love you! xo

    ReplyDelete