Saturday, May 7, 2011

I totally love chickens...

Chickens are pretty cool little guys. If they are in an environment that feels safe for them and are getting a daily dose of human contact...well, the chickens and roosters are likely going to be friendly and as smart as a chicken could be. I've seen chickens in cages before. It is not a pretty sight...they look like there is absolutely nothing inside that brain of theirs. And that is not their fault. They could have a little more depth to them if given the chance. But when you are caged for your entire life in a barn with hundreds of thousands of other chickens...what chance do you even have?? No chance. How sad. I am starting to feel depressed and feeling like it IS the RIGHT time to stop eating chicken...seriously. (I do really like to eat chicken though...it's a crazy hard sacrifice...too many times I have contemplated it though...) Anyways...the chickens and mighty roosters at Islandia Farm are way rad. I could spend hours with them in their big old hang out zone. They like people because people have always been around them. Picking them up and handling them when they were chicks even. Just like the chicks that I was hanging round only a few weeks ago. And those little dudes are growing like weeds. You can start to see which are hens and which are roosters...it's really cute...mini chickens! Well, me and Maggie had a real fun few hours with all of them today while Clint did some whacking of grass.

 As soon as I opened up the gates so they could run out in the grass...this guy came whipping out. I think he was like "WTF...it's 11 am. We have been waiting to get at the worms biatch"!!! hee hee. We had a lazy morning and it took us a bit of time to get at 'er today. ;o)
 Cock-a-doddle-doooooooooooo!! This dude could and I feel stubbornly would not stop chirping for about 10 minutes when Maggie & I brought them out. Maggie could care less about them running around. But this guy had a duty to serve and to protect. And that he was trying to do. :o)

 We also let the "chicks"out into their pasture to play in the sunshine. They were hesitant with Maggie being there at first...but soon they didn't care and out and about getting worms and eating grass.
 Hee hee hee hee...this cute little hen is sun tanning. She laid there for a few minutes before one of the wee roosters actually forced her to get up and start worming. He might be the king one day. ;o)
 Mini chickens...
 This rooster has been ostracized from the rest of them. He was the king...but then something happened. And they beat the crap out of him. Now he has two hens and his very own coop and pasture. He's retired. I think he really liked me and Maggie. All three of them were far warmer with us than the rest of them. And the other guys are pretty warm too. The black hen allowed me to pet her back a few times. I liked it. I want to spend more time wit these guys. I think they may feel threatened by their positions with the rest of the crew. I want to show them that they are still real cool.
 I think he is pretty. xox
 The sheep and lamb were out in the adjacent farms back pasture. Walking along the forest...too cute!
 I totally love the roosters. Can't get enough of them...

I see you in the hen house lady! All right...all right. Time to let you guys be...See y'all next time!! Maybe tomorrow??? ;o)

1 comment:

  1. Pam!!! i totally hear ya...i am all about chickens right now too!!! funny how that works hey?..and on my blog also!!! hah!....i don't eat 'em, i do love to see them just running around...doing their thing.....free range all the way baby....xo tammy

    ReplyDelete