Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Seriously obsessed...

I spent my Mother's Day surrounded by hens...and a few rooster. I mothered them all! ha ha ha! I guess it doesn't really matter what type the animal is...I love them all. And completely unconditionally. These days my animal obsession is coming out with the birds. They love me too because I allow them to be just as they are...all clucky and cocky and it's fine by me. Be yourselves you 2 legged fat animals. I think they are even getting to know me now. I have visited them off and on over the past few months. But this past weekend and all of our alone time together...I think they are taking a shining to me. Plus, I found the "treat" feed...so they dig me even more! hee hee. So yeah, Sunday, Mother's Day...me & Maggie hung out in the chicken runs with the big guys, the discarded guys and the "we're still small but growing and are in our incredibly awkward teenage like phase" guys. I love them all the same. And they really gave me some great exercise today too. Because I had already fed them some of their special treat, I didn't want to give them more when calling them in...they are plenty fat already! (I found out that the "feed" is used to call them in to their fenced over area each night) So I did the old fashioned way and chased them through the gate. The brown hens are the ones that don't listen. The rebels of the chicken family if you ask me. I was chasing four of them all over the yard towards the gate. With each one that I got in...my rooster buddy would give the hen a little peck for not listening to me. I think he could see my frustration and complete and total lack of energy after chasing for so long. I got them all in finally...or at least it seemed that way. I was pretty sure there was one left. I searched the whole open air compound for her. Went around twice. I then was looking along the fence where the bushes are and saw this funny orange coloured round rock. Yeah right!!!  It was the last brown hen...she was all laying down and hiding from me underneath the bush! Oh my word!!! Too funny. She gave me a run for my money and I got her to the gate...opened it and she ran the other way...I got around her again...gave her a soft boot to the bum and in the gate she went. Rooster guy gave her a cockle doddle doo, a peck and all was right in the covered compound. See ya next time buddies! :o)

 So this is the moment when I let them all out...woo hoo...freedom...smell the air on the outside! These chickens have an excellent life. Organic all the way...their eggs are so mmmmm. Everyone needs to eat some Islandia Farm eggs...I do.
 It's cool how cool all of the rooster and hens are with Maggie. She doesn't pay any mind to them...so they are quite happy having her hang out as long as it means I am there too! ;o)
 Roosters!!
 Here we are hanging with the "banished" rooster and his hens. I like this photo because Maggie is smacking her lips like she is hungry and ready to eat. Just so you know chickies...Maggie is NOT into the raw food diet! ;op
 Hanging with the adolescents in the daisy field. Ahhhh, could life be any sweeter??



Awkward...but still amazingly cute. Their mannerisms are the same as the adults...just smaller. Toooo cute!!

All right ladies...I am off. See ya next time! xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment