Saturday, June 4, 2011

GRRRRRRRRRRRRROWLS!

Here, on Gabriola we are lucky and blessed to have a wonderful, helpful and amazing society that is there 100% for the animals on our lovely island...GROWLS...Gabriola Rescue of Wildlife Society. They have established themselves to help those animals that have been inured, take ill or are somehow disabled and in need of a helping human hand...to thereafter be placed back into the wild where they belong and are happiest. You find a seal pup that has obviously been abandoned by it's mother...do not touch it...keep your distance and call GROWLS so that a trained volunteer and animal lover can come out, assess the situation and handle it as it should be. Sometimes they can be helped where they are...other times they need to be taken in and either brought to a vet on Vancouver Island or to a wildlife recovery facility on the Main Island or Salt Spring Island. If I had the physical capability to help...you bet your sweet patootie I would be out there. Gabriola is home to many beautiful animals of all shapes and sizes...deer, raccoon, a gazillion types of birds, seal, otters, beavers, sea lions, whales, livestock (which I guess the farm would handle anything wrong with them...but maybe sometimes GROWLS helps out...I actually don't know... hee hee) and of course the Wild Turkeys and Peacocks. (they could be combined with the other birds but they have their own special unique attitude, I must name them individually!)

Anyhow, next weekend...on June 11 there will be an opening night reception at Feedlot Studios for the Animal Magnetism Show. I believe there are 40 artists from Gabriola submitting pieces for this show where proceeds from each piece sold will go directly towards GROWLS. Yay!!! (I don't think I would call myself an artist...more of an imaginative, creative being...but I made a piece for the show...I freakin' LOVE all the animals!) GROWLS always needs donations to help with the amazing work that they do...and everyone knows that the government ain't always there financially for the things that matter most...sooooo...Mariko & Bryan of Feedlot Studios and Sylvie Milman of Jupiter Ranch got together and decided that a show about animals with $$ for the animals would be a grrrrreat idea. And it is soon approaching. If you live on Gabriola, I hope to see you there. If you are coming to Gabriola anytime between June 11 and 30th, I hope you pop in to Feedlot Studios at 800 Valli Place and check out the art and support our sweet, furry, feathery and slippery friends. ;o)

Go GROWLS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment